Darla D.W. Campbell, P.Eng.
Candidate for Councillor-at-Large, Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering (1989)
- Sustainability & Asset Management Specialist, Dillon Consulting Limited
- Projects in municipal Water, Wastewater and Stormwater
- Presented papers at WEAO conferences and OWWA conference
- Former Executive Director, Ontario Coalition for Sustainable Infrastructure (OCSI)
What you need to know about Darla Campbell is that she learned leadership from the trenches of a construction site. And that’s not a metaphor, that’s exactly where she started her career as a professional engineer, learning to collaborate with the contractor and working together to get results. After 20 years of infrastructure experience she re-certified as a trainer and coach to expand her expertise to the efficiency improvements of a company’s greatest asset – its people.
As a behaviour change specialist, Darla combines the principles of engineering design, problem solving and coaching theory to get extraordinary results. She coaches corporate clients to reach new heights and inspires groups to redefine possible. Darla is passionate about inspiring leaders to make the impossible possible.
Author of the report “When the Bough Breaks: Helping municipalities prioritize infrastructure investment to build resilient wastewater and stormwater systems” which identified how Ontario municipalities in 2014 were planning for growth and climate change in their communities. Recently published in Environmental Engineering & Science magazine (October 2016) as a co-author of “Low Impact Development Improves the Performance of Existing Stormwater Infrastructure”.
Winner of the silver medal for International Outstanding Young BPW Leader, she has developed training for entrepreneurs and has facilitated internationally recognized Leadership Development workshops. She is the founder of Speaking Club, a program that creates a safe environment to practice and enhance speaking skills.
Darla is an Associate with Dillon Consulting Limited, Chair of Waterlution, past Chair of PEO’s Government Liaison Committee, former Executive Director of the Ontario Coalition for Sustainable Infrastructure (OCSI) and past Chair of the Board of Momentum Credit Union.
Previous Work History
- President and CEO, amonavi consulting group inc. (2003-2017)
- Executive Director, Ontario Coalition for Sustainable Infrastructure (2012-2017)
- Vice President, Business Development, United Water Canada (2002-2003)
- Director Business Development and Engineering Services, United Water Canada (1999 to 2002)
- Director Engineering Services & Technology, United Water, Harrington Park, New Jersey (1997-1999)
- Project Manager, Project Development, Ontario Clean Water Agency (1994 to 1997)
- Design Engineer and Resident Engineer, Associated Engineering (1992 to 1994)
- Engineer-in-training and Engineer, Structural Department, Wardrop Engineering, Winnipeg (1989 to 1992)
- Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW – Oakville)
- Canadian Network of Asset Managers (CNAM)
- Engineers and Geoscientists Manitoba (EGM)
- Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE)
- Water Environment Association of Ontario (WEAO)
Education and Recent Professional Development
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, 1989, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- 2106: Change Management Course, Best Career Leap, Mississauga, Ontario
- 2015: Enterprise Risk Management, Conference Board of Canada, Toronto
Speaking Engagements – Highlights
- Keynote Speaker – Let’s Begin. Asset Management Made Easy, Yukon Community of Practice event, Whitehorse (November 29, 2016)
- Speaker – UPFRONT – Developing confidence to communicate your message effectively, Women in Nuclear Conference, Brampton (November 7, 2016)
- Keynote Speaker – Eco-Fiscal Challenges to Building Resilient Communities, Ontario Drinking Water Branch workshop, Innisfil (September 7, 2016)
- Keynote Speaker – Find Your Niche. Leadership conference at Lassonde School of Engineering, York University (May 14, 2016)
- Speaker – Climate Change and Asset Management/Infrastructure, Building Municipal Resiliency in Central Ontario, Barrie (May 21, 2015)
- Speaker – When the Bough Breaks: Wastewater Infrastructure Needs Assessment, Canadian Network of Asset Managers (CNAM) annual conference, Vancouver (May 12, 2015)
- Keynote Address – Leadership Frame of Mind, OSPE Women in Engineering Advisory Committee (April 2015)
- Panelist – Small and Aboriginal Communities, Canadian Water Network national conference, Ottawa (March 10, 2015)
- Keynote Address – Leadership Frame of Mind, Hamilton-Burlington PEO Awards Dinner (March 2015)
- Keynote Address – Going Beyond Asset Management – Organizational Change. RIVA Conference, Toronto (October 7, 2014)
- Panel Moderator – Careers in the Water Sector, Canadian Water Network, London (November 2013)
- Conference Speaker – The Fast Track for Results: Leave your baggage behind. Mississauga (Nov 2012)
- Keynote Address – Leadership Frame of Mind, PEO Awards Dinner, Oakville (Sept 2012)
- Keynote Address – Motivation and Engagement, Leadership Forum, University of Toronto (Aug 2010)
Publications – Recent
Campbell, Darla, When the Bough Breaks: Helping municipalities prioritize infrastructure investment to build resilient wastewater and stormwater systems (November 2014)
Campbell, Darla and Christine Zimmer, Low Impact Development Improves the Performance of Existing Stormwater Infrastructure, Environmental Science & Engineering, October 2016